Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Kaiju Contest Sketches


So here's my first sketchy ideas on my Kaiju entry. Just playing with the concept of a lobster/crayfish monster. I saw a shrimp at the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach and I guess it subconsciously jumped on the page. A lot of the newer kaiju seem to be more outrageous and I prefer the simper "man in suit" concept. It seems truer to the genre. After all it's going to be wrestling with Godzilla after all right?? On a side note, I've seen Krayonzillas massive vinyl kaiju collection and it's cool how they sculpt the folds and seams into the figure itself! Awesome detail!!

4 comments:

Dok said...

Nice one Skribl!

Like that you're keeping in the style of the genre - true to its roots.

The grey/green version is my favorite. But the think I like about the one that's pure B+W line is the girth of the chest. I think of crayfish and other anthrods as having that big middle section. When it gets really thin I think of sinewy shapes, as you have it flying. So I guess it works either way.

Like also the idea of the beam!

rickart said...

I like the flying attack best. He's sort of a Gamera type monster, I think... only cooler.

Mr Goodson said...

I dig the proportions Skrbbl. Hey, I probably scared Mary_Claire. I was leaving work at the Hughes center and I see this license tag on a Red MiniCooper that says SKRBBL. I honked and got out my truck and waved. Then when i passed the MiniCooper on the way to the light, surprise, it's not you.

Your monster is great. I like the shapes. The Claws going to the ground. I can see the guy sweltering inside whipping the claws around in windmill fashion.

Davis Chino said...

THIS IS SO DAMN ULTRAMAN! I'm ready to sit down with an after-school bowl of Cocoa Puffs and trip out on this guy's antics.

GREE-GONK indeed!

And roadside Ellis scaring your wife is a sort of Kaiju moment all its own, isn't it?

Next license plate: "GREEGNK."