Monday, July 21, 2008

Rock N' Roll Lifestyle (Conclusion pt. I)


The BIG FINISH is over at Brush Pen Breakfast.

I think it is over-long, and that robs the punchline of its punch. Also, the real ethos behind the "Rock N' Roll Lifestyle" strip idea doesn't quite come through in this one. I've got another coming.

Also, I agree with you, Rick, that the buildings are weak. I think the architecture gets better in the last four panels where I try to make it more specific. But point taken (thank you). But the biggest problem or weakest element is the narration. I'll get the hang of it.

And my ersatz BenDay Dots came from the "pointilize"(?) filter in PhoSho--it just creates a regular grid if you use a middle grey to be "pointilized"--I saved out a big grid of this, then I scale to suit, and change transparency (which is a cheat). I'd like to find an even better way of imitating BenDay goodness, Goodson.

I'm still in Oregon. This is being posted from a Starbucks. The free WiFi comes from buying a Starbucks card (just a giftcard, not a Visa/MC) and registering it online. You are then allotted TWO FREE HOURS ONLINE EVERYDAY. Plus free syrup for all your drinks, and complimentary refills. That's service!

6 comments:

rickart said...

Wow! Nice deal! I think I will go for that!

rickart said...

Oh, and I agree... these new buildings are much nicer. I also agree that the R&R lifestyle in this case is a bit far-afield... on the other hand, is working in a clothing store a sort of metaphor for a Rocker going "commercial"? The strip made me think about it…

Tom Carroll said...

I completely got it and I thought that the strip didn't take too long to arrive at it's paunchy punchline. That final comic was GENIUS!! Especially the little word balloon trailing out of the computer ...

Tom Moon said...

I think you have invented a very unique style of comic strip. I would like to see you start producing more strips like crazy, pushing the concept to its limits.

What is it about the narration that you don't like? I think this is the kind of comic where the average person has to read it for a while in order to catch up and tune in with the author's frame of mind and unconventional approach.

I eagerly await part 2, as I think there is much more that needs to be said about the Rock and Roll lifestyle of your characters.

Davis Chino said...

Great comments, fellas--thank you.

Really, nobody was offended?

I hope I didn't mislead anyone, but this will be the only time these two characters appear. We only get this glimpse into these two lives to illustrate--in compare-and-contrast style--an aspect of the "Rock N' Roll Lifestyle." Which, it should be said, is both functioning as a philosophical system of cataloging, and as a satirical dig at the idea that anything like a "Rock N' Roll Lifestyle" could actually exist, or that any ethos could be culled from it.

If you weren't offended before, you might be now.

I came up with the idea when imagining a very particular six panel strip a while back that ended with the punchline "Rock N' Roll Lifestyle!!" But I haven't drawn up that particular strip yet because I wasn't sure how I could draw it. Now I have a better idea, so I'll get to work on it.

Mr Goodson said...

This one idea was good. But an anthology of similar, that's Money Baby!