Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Aimed At Future Sketchbook Publishing vs Blogging




The note I gave to Marty on his Blog relates to post edits for book publishing. I think Stephen Silver does a lot of character cramming compositions for his books that cause a diminished impact for some really good character designs. It would improve Silver to have 1 or 2 on a page instead of 20 with yellow highlighter filling the negative spaces. Definitely don't copy Silver when it comes to page design on sketchbooks. What do you think? Drawings that you page through with lightbox. I want Marty to blog what he spontaneously produces. But even there I'm assuming he's scanning then arranging in photoshop. Composition is taking place right there. Not completely on the fly.

3 comments:

Rickart said...

Ack! I don't know which thread to post on! I guess this one will do.

I like sketchbooks with variety, in content and composition. I like it when some pages have tons of stuff to look at and other focus on a single, simple drawing that clearly is of particular intrest to the artist or editor.

I suppose it also depends on the drawings themselves... if a drawing has a lot of environment that goes with it then it might be hard for that image to share a page with something else.

Tom Moon said...

What Rick said.

Davis Chino said...

El, you're too funny...I like 'em this way! I split 'em up on the Brushpen Breakfast Blog--honest, I do!