Tuesday, September 12, 2006

WIP: "A nazi man with a hat threats a scientist in a watery environment"





Added a new version ... when the next is ready, I'll delete the oldest ...

Here it is as it stands ... My daughter, Felicity, and I worked on the composition while having breakfast last Friday at IHOP before I dropped her off at school. She said that the column of water at center had to have in it a Mutated Oceanic Sea Snail and she worked out on her own that the scientist invented it to eliminate hunger by feeding the world on a French delicacy -- escargot -- and that the nazi wanted it so it could inspire fear at the head of an advancing army. The snail itself ... well, it just wanted to have dinner ... schnakkk!!

Another post will come when it is further along ...

8 comments:

Mr Goodson said...

I like the environment and it becomes the central item since the guys are small. So really going nuts on the core cylinder with snail is called for. Interesting that an idea generator would come up with such a cool Hellboy idea...Wait a minute, you don't suppose Mignola...

Skribbl said...

I like the environment too but would like to see the characters faces to get a sense of acting and achtung.


Ellis your avatar is creeping me out.

Mr Goodson said...

It's Johnny Eck from Freaks. There's a webpage devoted to him. Interesting bio. I'll replace it with something like a HarryKnowles type mini story anim. I'm going to a FLASHseminar this weekend

TopCat said...

I agree with Skrib ... I am actually using my newfound Bob Kato scribble drawings to fashion likenesses of the Nazi w/hat and the scientist. The finished piece will no doubt include inset panels with those action heads and shoulders ... Hmmm ... this is turning into something larger than the idea generator called for ... and, hey!!, that's good!!

BTW: I knew that was who the avatar had to be, but I didn't remember he was called Johnny Eck ... Good on ye for taking the class, Ellis. Yer an inspiration.

Mr Goodson said...

It's shaping up. Very cool step by step exercise. Do you keep lots of layers or do you like to flatten?

Mr Goodson said...

I like the translucence on the central cylinder. I also like my new avatar

TopCat said...

I used to keep scaaaaaads of layers, all the better to fiddle with things. Now, after watching various Gnomon DVDs from the likes of Scott Robertson and Ryan Church, I work about five layers, then merge or merge visible, and carry on. When I have the overall composition ready to post for the edification of the Tuesday Art Group's members, then I flatten everything for the post and start again on the other side ... Seems to be working and I'm really liking where the different shapes are going, oval for the scientist and hard edges for the Nazi's space.

Mr Goodson said...

Really shaping up. Lots of solidity. I copied the last version and mad the middle column a complimetary blue but I didn't get anything more pleasing than the monochromatic approach