Saturday, November 21, 2015

Today's Zoo Field trip Handout

Put together some handouts to help the young'ns with "process." After our last Zoo trip, I noticed most everybody took about the same amount of time on all their drawings. I asked them to try more variation, starting with quicksketches and eventually adding in a few renders.



Making those “process” sequences: 10 seconds on the sketch, then rush to the scanner–-5 minutes to scan, then pull the paper out, make three more lines, and scan it again….

I’m trying to force myself to show the students unpolished work, unexceptional work (all my own, of course). Easier to see the process when the drawing is missing real magic.

But these are kinda fun.
Posted for Ellis & Tom (doubt anyone else will be interested much): Here's the list of drawing requirements for the day. The Zoo opens at 10 AM, closes at 5. We worked all day, but only a few people managed to fulfill their full quota. Guess I'm the kinda Doctor who likes to over-prescribe.

4 comments:

Tom Moon said...

Love your checklist, although I too would certainly be daunted by the amount of work requested!

Your animal drawing demos are fantastic. I'm learning how to draw animals just by reading them online here.

MrGoodson2 said...

Gad Marty. That's a semester's worth of work. Great examples though. Student types need to break that "doing it right" mental block. Doodle to greatness.

BDMontag said...

Who are your students? I mean are they fine arts BA BFA candidates or some sort of illustration, graphics, game-art students. Fine artist would crumble up your "assignment" sheet and use air quotes every time they said the word "assignment". But boy would they have some deep feelings connecting to the animals at the end of class crit. (Flashback nightmares)

Davis Chino said...

Thanks, dudes. Ben, re: the image of BFA students bonding with animals, it is to laff...no, my students are (almost) all seniors in either the animation or illustration program. They've all been very accepting of my ways...and the means I'm asking them to use. We've gone pretty hardcore on doing this the traditional way (anatomy, movement, construction in our drawings, etc.). I do a lot of drawings for everyone--most of the drawings I did on the field trip were done for students as lessons (I give them the sketches usually--using loose leaf paper pinned to a clipboard seems to work best).

And Ellis, you're right, I'm trying to break them from working too slowly too much. Methodical is good, but trying to get them to mix in some speed of execution, which hopefully builds speed of thought.

Or something.

They've asked me to teach a second class next semester--illustration. Zoinks! I will have a lot of work to do to build an illustration class. Suggestions?