Saturday, September 05, 2015

Saw Barry Lyndon for the 1st time


I think it is the only Kubrick movie I hadn't seen. Saw Marty did sketches from the TCM showing a couple of nights ago.
This is me doodling during it.
It's always been about the 3 hour length. I didn't think I'd like 3 hours of what I was mentally classifying a costume drama.
Loved every minute of it.
Freelance WIP
Yes, I know. The rough is better. 
The size requirements pushed me around too much.

 No rough prelim on this just started and erased and corrected as I went.
This is the final, the blue. I turned in the red and I got a note that it didn't work. 
Blue is better.

Final rough. 
I'll finish this tomorrow and then start on that Bat-Hulk
Color some time today.
Bah.

Got an extra commision. Started this digitally and just smudged it, stayed indefinite. The pencil sketch will probably be unrecognizable compared to this rough.
Kinda fun though. Something i want to develop.



11 comments:

MrGoodson2 said...

That 3 hour length kept me from watching it on TCM most recent.

I thought, nope, I'll get it from the library, again.

I returned it before without watching it last time.

I wanted to put it on pause, watch it for as long as it took.

Watched it pretty much straight through.

Tom Moon said...

The Dire Bear is really cool. What are those markings on him? Painted on?

MrGoodson2 said...

I'll try and make them look branded into him

MrGoodson2 said...

My signature is on his wrist. This will be a PNG with bear and transparency.

Davis Chino said...

Elz, glad you liked Lyndon! Great to do a double feature of B Lyndon and Ploanski's "Tess of D'Urbervilles" (sp??) with Natasha Kinski. Maximum 18th Century pastoral.

I love the other sketches--lookin' great!

MrGoodson2 said...

I'm watching Trailers from Hell on youtube. A director appraises Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut and says we need to see it again. So I think I will.

Surly Bird said...

I love that bear, Ellis, both the loose 'before' and the tighter 'after.' He had to be fun to draw!

Rickart said...

I was just watching some Deep Space 9 and a Klingon made a reference to a "Sabre Bear" I thought that would be a cool thing to draw... and then I saw this terrific image and thought "Dang, Ellis beat me too it!" I can't top this bear that you've drawn!

Tom Moon said...

Ellis, both the bear and the graveyard demon are great. I think you are doing some of your best work ever for this card company.

MrGoodson2 said...

Thanks Tom. Freelance satisfied. Onto that Bat Hulk. While it is in my mind to do.

MrGoodson2 said...

Just got the query, have I got time to do another piece? Yes I do. I'd better do Hulk quick.