Monday, December 16, 2013

A Pirate's Life....

Finally completed this. A Disneyland "Pirates of the Caribbean" spoof starring Beata's brother, Peter. Came up with this way back, when Beata purchased a copy of the Brushpen Breakfast Book for Peter (I did that drawing of Peter as a Disneyland audio-animatronic bust that Walt thinks is too scary for the Haunted Mansion...remember?). Peter's a big Disney fan, so I knew he'd appreciate something like this...so, I begged her to "commission" me to do this--and being a sport, she acquiesced. It's good to have a patron!

The people working to get Peter into the auctioneer pirate's costume are all caricatures (or there 'bouts) of famous Imagineers. That was THE GAG. The tag line is in Walt's voice: "Peter, we'll just need you for a day or two...a week, tops!"

Ha, ha.

No computer aid on this one--just felt-tip marker (with a touch or two of white paint) over blue pencil (which was a mistake! it sends all the yellows green. Should have stuck with my orange),  approx. 15" X 20."

9 comments:

Davis Chino said...

p.s. no black used in this. Just layered a brew of dark "complements" (or there 'bouts). In person makes for livelier viewing.

JMG said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA1 hE'S GOING TO LOVE THIS!

Rickart said...

Spectacular! Sooo much fun!

MrGoodson2 said...

Just amazing. So lively and very fun.
Never will be anything digital done that looks like it.

Tom Moon said...

Imagine a 100 page graphic novel, with every panel looking like this.

MrGoodson2 said...

I can imagine it Tom. Sadly dog eared.

I love all the different skin temperatures.

Davis Chino said...

You guys really cheer me up. Thanks.

Tom, I'm afraid that graphic novel would take two years to draw at my current speed...but I bet I would get a lot faster over time.

Probably die from marker inhalation long before finishing, tho'....

I wonder if this style would really work for an entire book? I mean, aesthetically (if we can still use that word).

Tom Moon said...

Two years is not that long! Novelists easily spend that amount of time and longer on many of their works, and yours would be a masterpiece unlike anything that's been seen. I'm sure that the style would work just fine. I was being tongue-in-cheek when I said that EVERY panel would look like that, most of them would be much simpler, with the occasional splash page and double page spread. Think of Kurtzman and Elder's "Little Annie Fanny" books, or Mark Waid and Alex Ross's "Kingdom Come".

Speaking of drawing speed, I sure hope that I get faster over the years. Rick said that he gets about two pages a week done. That's about how fast I am, and unlike Rick, I don't have a job and kids on top of that!

Rickart said...

That's just the lettering and inking. The writing and plotting is already done.