Wednesday, February 08, 2017

Don't Need No Stinkin' Bejes

I was asked to ask Artist Alley participants to do badges. When asked to do so, the deadline was too close and no one bothered to read the specs I gave them. Nonetheless, I did my own badges. I am not sure if the powers that be will accept them all. The theme, if you can't figure it out, is the Jack Kirby Centennial Tribute. Specs by the way were a 4 x 3 inch card with one free space of an inch high to allow to paste on a name label.





Here is the finished T-shirt. Since the last post someone came up with a shield design and I had to make more color breaks in the background.





10 comments:

MrGoodson2 said...

Tremendous stuff Ben. You nailed the Kirby essence.

MrGoodson2 said...

No evidence of fluoridation.

BDMontag said...

The Kirby stuff is real Kirby. Manipulated scans or reinked original pencils. I was asked to draw something new, Kirby style, but balked for 2 reasons. The best imitation Kirby I can do would like like bad Herb Trimpe and there is so much Kirby out there there is no need to fake it. I would much prefer Kirby characters drawn in someone's own style.

MrGoodson2 said...

Aha! Good, I didn't want you able to channel Kirby better than me. Great stuff. If I win lotto I'll gate crash the festivities.

BDMontag said...

You should. TAGsters who showed up in the past who won't be here this year: you, Marty, Eric, Jeff, Jim, Scott. Beata is on consultant status. The TAG photo is going to be a selfie.

I sent this link: http://www.claremont.org/crb/article/the-politics-of-star-trek/
to your old email address I think. You might find it interesting.

Tom Moon said...

Nice job Ben!

Tom Moon said...

Last I heard Marty WOULD be there. When did you last talk to him?

BDMontag said...

About 3 weeks ago. Said he was busy. He's posting a WIP on Facebook but doesn't say who it is for.

BDMontag said...

Since Mark Evanier is coming to the Fest, the Fest Chairman is nervous about using licensed characters or lifting Kirby art. He isn't using any of the submitted badge art. He is probably shitting bricks over the T-shirt.

MrGoodson2 said...

Looks like it was good times. Some people posted 360 pictures. A con people should enjoy being at. I would have.