Sunday, August 05, 2012

It's weird saying I have a weekend. (UPADATE)

8-5-2012

Well it's been 2 weeks, put in for my first paycheck. Job isn't what I expected at all...very LOW end but I'm paid well. Can't put much longevity here because there isn't any. Thing ends in March but there might be work elsewhere in the company by then so I'll just have to hold out until then, if not I'll go back to collecting UI and try to find something else. Good thing about this is I will have a recent GOV clearance which will make be far more marketable in the fed contractor community. So I'll just see, first order of business is to get the last bit of debt out of the way and take advantage of the medical insurance to try and get as much as I can afford done before seven months are up. Plus finalizing and selling off the last of my auction junk and upgrading some memory and software for my CPU. Then I should be Ok. My art store gig went down the drain as well as my under the table odd jobs. Just couldn't do them with a weekday gig. Oh well. I'm also looking at taking a oil painting class in Oct.





Finished my first week. Real hectic. Still some issues to resolve with fedgov paperwork...so it's still not in the bag until it's approved and finalized. Then I can say I've got a REAL job. but it should come through next week, fingers crossed. Anyway from what I can tell is I'm a department of ONE. Lone graphics guy answerable to the top officer. No over-lording managers, No other artists to manage, no corporate nit pickers. I answer to the one guy and what ever he tasks me with. It's weird saying have a nice weekend to others around you. Is this the light at the end of the tunnel? I surely hope. :)

8 comments:

MrGoodson2 said...

you've had a 3 year dry spell. You're due

Rickart said...

I know how you feel! Enjoy it and don't second guess it!

JMG said...

What ticks me off is how some people I've told say..."well you've had enough VACATION time". This from people who have kept their jobs during all this economic downturn BS. like living on several hundred bucks a week on unemployment is a picnic, I say let them live on less that $1000 a month and SEE who's on VACATION. And they forget I have had some freelance work at home gigs too. So it's not like I've NOT been working. Just because you DON'T deal with traffic COMMUTER bull and punch a clock with an ungrateful manager/overlord watching your every move...doesn't mean I haven't worked.

Tom Moon said...

Happy for you Jim! Good deal!

MrGoodson2 said...

sounds like you have your s together and you go forward forearmed with just how bad it can get.

MrGoodson2 said...

And do take oil painting

Davis Chino said...

Jimmy, SO GLAD to hear about this. Keeping fingers crossed for good things.

JMG said...

We will see. It's a job and I'm being paid. At this point that's enough. I might be able to pick up some side work if my old outfit gets funded for more of that game thing. So I could be working days and nights in the future.