Friday, November 23, 2007

Beowulf, See it!



I read Beowulf when I was in 5th or 6th grade. The version above I believe. I just ordered it from Amazon. it was published in 1961 which would be just right for it being the one I read. And the cover looks familiar. It sounds like a lot of fun with some nice illo work on the inside if the cover is any indication. Nice gesture on the Grendel and Beowulf combat scene.

I remember being terribly impressed that it was the oldest story in the English language.

The movie experience reingnited my enthusiam. It's a great, well told film. The 3D makes it complete magic. Black Magic because it's so gory. Neil Gaiman has taken stuff from the legend, digested it and woven up some nice tight story points. I really like the coda of Beowulf tearing Grendels arm off at the beginning and then at the end....See it.

In 3D. Not Imax necessarily.

No comments: